Tuesday 17 July 2012

Wilder World of Books ~ Afghanistan

The Kite Runner ~ Khaled Hosseini


On my Life List I wrote 'Read a book from/about every country in the world'. It doesn't matter if I've already read a book from or about that country; for the sake of this list I'm starting again. So Afghanistan is the first coutry to be ticked off.

I'm not sure it would be right to say I enjoyed this book. The subject matter is pretty unsettling. The writing, however, was great, & I always like to be transported to a particular time & place when reading. I guess that is the purpose of this exercise ~ to learn more about the world. Before I read The Kite Runner I knew nothing about pre-9/11 Afghanistan, & very little about contemporary Afghanistan, so this gave me a little (very little) background info on the country.

I'd love to include my favourite quote from the book here but I forgot to make note of it while I was reading, & hell if I'm gonna go through the entire book just to find it for you, sorry.

As part of this exercise I am going to learn where each country is located on the world map. This is where Afghanistan is, if you didn't already know.

No comments:

Post a Comment